How Much Should I Pay For A Good Mattress? - An Ultimate Mattress Pricing Guide
If you ask us «How much should I pay for a good mattress?», in short, we will tell you – between 300-2,500 USD. This is the range of the mattress's lowest and highest prices. But we know you will not be satisfied with such an answer because… you already know that «it depends». Various factors define mattresses’ price, thus you can find mattresses ranging between 300-600 USD, 700-1,200 USD, and 1,200-2,500.
In this ultimate guide on average mattress prices you will find everything about:
- Mattress prices;
- Mattress cost factors;
- Mattress hidden expenses;
- The pricing policy of popular brands and more.
Read on to find out how much you should budget for a really good mattress. Let’s start with the two tables – one with prices on most popular mattress types and the other with details on each mattress.
Two tables with essentials: prices on mattresses and mattress types
Mattress prices drastically vary and depend on many factors. Here’s a full average mattress price table which answers the question: «How much does a mattress cost?» (mattresses in the table are presented from the most to the least popular)
|Low End (Twin Size)||100-250 USD||200-300 USD||400-600 USD||200-650 USD||-||Less than 100 USD|
|Low End (Queen size)||150-350 USD||250-350 USD||750-1,000 USD||300-800 USD||-||200-300 USD|
|High End (Twin size)||450-1,000 USD||600-1,100 USD||600-1,400 USD||1,000-1,800 USD||900-2,000 UDS||130-200 USD|
|High End (Queen size)||1,200-2,000+ USD||1,100-2,500+ USD||1,300-2,700+ USD||1,200-2,200+ USD||1,000-3,000+ USD||350-450+ USD|
In the table, you can see the average price ranges for mattresses of the two most popular sizes (Twin and Queen), as well as how pricing varies based on the type of a mattress. All types of mattresses are grouped into three categories: Budget, Mid-range, and Luxury. In the next section we will discuss how different factors define mattress prices.
*According to Statista.
The second table is designed to help you to define the mattress type you may need. For more information, please, check our guide on types of mattresses.
|Mattress Type||Average lifespan*||Noise||Sex||Conforming ability||Edge support||Odor potential||Temperature neutrality|
|Inner-spring||8-10 years||Can be quite noisy if the springs aren’t pocketed||Very good option||Poor - Fair||Good - Very Good||Are almost odorless||Don’t retain heat if there is a thin top layer|
|All-foam||8-11 years||Almost noiseless||Not the best option||Good - Very Good||Poor - Fair||Can absorb odor quite quickly||Not the best option for hot and heavy sleepers if there is no gel-infused layer|
|Latex||10-20 years||Almost noiseless||Good option||Good||Poor - Fair||Are unlikely to have an odor||Can retain heat but less than all-foam mattresses|
|Hybrid||7-10 years||May create some noise if there is a layer of springs||Good option if there is a layer of springs||Good - Very Good||Good - Very Good||Can absorb odors||Retain heat If the top layers are made of soft foam|
|Airbed||6-8.5 years||Almost noiseless||Good option||Good||Good - Very Good||Can absorb odors||Retain heat If the top layers are made of soft foam|
*Please, note that the expected lifespan depends on plenty of factors, such as your sleeping style, your weight, accidents that can happen with your mattress (like spilling liquids on it), the type of the mattress base you’re using, etc. We cannot say how long exactly your mattress will last - you should pay attention to the condition of your mattress and replace it once you see fit.
Now let’s dive into discussing the prices and finding out what factors influence mattress prices.
Average mattress price full guide: why are mattresses so expensive?
Some mattresses are very cheap (futon), while others are expensive (latex, some hybrid models). For many types of mattresses, prices vary, and they can cost 400 USD or 1,000 USD. Here we will discuss factors that affect the average mattress price.
This is a list of most factors that explain why prices for mattresses are different:
- Size (from Crib to California King)
- Type of material (different types of foam, coils, latex, etc.)
- Material quality (low, medium, or high)
- Material quantity (number of layers, coil count, foam density, etc.)
- The complexity of the manufacturing process
- Hidden factors (delivery, warranty, removal)
Now let’s look at each of these factors in detail.
Size cost factor
The size cost factor in mattresses is the easiest to understand. The larger the size, the more material will be used, hence, the higher the price. Check this list of all American mattress sizes and their dimensions – note that their price grows exponentially:
- Crib (27 X 52) – baby’s first bed
- Twin (39 X 75) – for children 2-12
- Twin XL (39 X 80) – for teenagers and students
- Full (54 X 75) – for adult single sleepers
- Queen (60 X 80) – for couples, perfect for small bedrooms
- King (75 X 80) – for couples, larger bedrooms
- California King (72 X 84) – for couples, large bedrooms
In our comparison table above you can see average prices for the Twin and Queen size mattresses.
Mattress material cost factor
Material is one of the most complex factors influencing the average mattress price:
- Some materials or their combinations are per se more expensive than the others.
- Each material itself can be of low or high quality and, thus, the price for the same material type mattress would vary.
- Material quantity (not just the size of a mattress but the number of material layers) matters a lot both for the price and durability of a mattress.
Let’s check out specific cost factors for each type of mattress based on the main material.
Innerspring mattresses cost factors
Innerspring mattresses are the most traditional ones. They consist of a spring core and layers of soft materials. Their price ranges from around 150-350 USD and more for low-end Queen size and 1,200-2,000+ USD for high-end Queen size. Innerspring average mattress price depends mostly on the quality and type of inner coils:
- Coil gauge: this determines the thickness of a mattress, as well as its durability. High-gauge coils make a mattress softer as they are springier and thinner, while low-gauge coils provide the opposite. They are more durable and are firmer.
- Coil type: There are two main types of coils in innerspring mattresses: connected and pocketed ones. Connected coils (bonnel, offset and continuous ones) are commonly used, but pocketed coils provide better motion isolation and they are more conforming. Of course, putting every coil into a separate pocket may be pricier than making ordinary spins from a metal wire, so this can also affect the price.
The lifespan of innerspring mattresses is 8-10 years. It’s almost the same as foam and hybrid mattresses, but much shorter than the lifespan of latex mattresses which can serve up to 20 years (which is quite arguable, but still).
All-foam mattresses cost factors
In foam mattresses, support and bounce aren’t guaranteed by coils (like in innerspring mattresses) but by aerated substances. Manufacturers often use polyurethane foam, memory foam, gel-infused foam, and/or foam latex. The type of foam used, its density, and airflow define how much the mattress would cost within 250-350 USD for low end options and 1,100-2,500+ USD for high end options (Queen size).
- Foam type: this is the most important cost factor in mattresses with foam. Polyfoam is the budget material that is known for short durability. All-foam mattresses of higher quality and longer life-span have special properties and are more expensive - for example, gel-infused foam mattresses that are soft but still supportive enough, and don't retain heat (if the layer with gel beads is placed on top).
- Density: High-density foam in mattresses provides their durability (more expensive), while low-density foam mattresses deteriorate faster (cheaper).
- Airflow: all-foam mattresses with high airflow have a curvy design (also known as egg crate-shaped). They are more expensive but make the sleep cooler.
When it comes to the price/quality ratio, it’s better to buy foam mattresses priced 700 USD and higher. They would suit an adult bedroom, are ultra-soft, supportive, may have several layers of different types of foam (like those with gel), and are covered in quilted hypo-allergic cotton tops. They are thicker than 6-10 inch guest foam mattresses below 300 USD and are fancier than foam mattresses for children between 300-800 USD.
Usually, the thicker the mattress, the longer it serves, but foam mattresses demand a proper mattress base, and the best base for this type is slatted foundation, then their lifespan will pleasantly surprise you. Foam mattresses last for around 8-11 years longer. That’s a year more than for innerspring mattresses.
Latex mattresses cost factors
Later is a type of rubber that makes the mattress springy, bouncy, and comfortable. This high-quality material makes mattresses quite pricey (that’s regarding the main question «why mattresses are so expensive?»). Their price ranges from 750-1,000 USD for low end options to 1,300-2,700+ USD for high-quality options (Queen size). What defines latex mattresses prices?
- Latex quality: whether latex is natural or synthetic defines how expensive the mattress would be. Natural latex is made of rubber trees and is more expensive than man-made latex.
- The complexity of manufacturing: synthetic latex can be of a different price too. Some are made with the Talalay process (more expensive), others are made with the Dunlop process (a bit cheaper but still quite pricey). Talalay latex is lighter and less dense. Dunlop latex is the opposite – heavier and denser.
- The number of layers: thicker mattresses are more expensive and last longer. Manufacturers can combine layers of different types of latex, so prices depend on that too.
Latex mattresses are among the longest-serving compared to innerspring, foam, and hybrid. You can enjoy your sleep on them for 10-20 years. If you wonder if a mattress really can last 20 years, you can check Koala’s answer on this question.
Hybrid mattresses cost factors
Hybrid mattresses vary from mid-range to luxury category as they may contain different layers (from budget foam to superfine gel fillers) and coils. Prices for hybrids are between 300-800 USD and 1,200-2,200+ USD for low end and high end mattresses respectively (Queen size). Let’s see at the factors that matter in hybrids:
- Quality of material: a mattress with pocketed coils and natural latex will cost more than the one with open coils and synthetic Dunlop latex. The better the materials, the more comfortable and convenient, and, therefore, the more expensive a mattress is.
- The number of layers: larger, thicker mattresses with more layers of quality material will cost more.
- Design complexity: in one layer different materials can be used for different body zones (softer for head and thicker for back, for example). Complex design for satisfying back, side, and stomach sleepers increases the price of a hybrid mattress.
The lifespan of hybrid mattresses is the same as of foam mattresses – 7-10 years. They can sometimes serve even longer than some innerspring mattresses but less than latex ones.
Adjustable airbed mattresses cost factors
Please, don’t confuse adjustable airbeds with air mattresses! Adjustable airbed mattresses aka smart bed mattresses are in the luxury category due to the unique structure that they have. As a means of support, they use air systems and are more expensive than their innerspring and foam counterparts. This mattress type is quite rare and is available to buy only from several brands like Saatva or Sleep Number.
Airbed mattresses cost from 1,000 USD to over 2,500 USD for Queen size. Factors that matter in the price of airbed mattresses are:
- Height: the higher the mattress, the more expensive it is. This means that a mattress has more air chambers and provides more support.
- Remote control: it’s you who can decide how bouncy or soft it should be. In budget mattresses, you can use remote manual control for it, while more expensive mattresses can be controlled through a mobile app.
- Additional comfort: manufacturers may use extra materials to provide more comfort to customers. Organic latex, micro-coils, memory foam are among the most expensive materials.
Airbed mattresses are among those which last longest. You can use them for at least 6-8.5 years, some even exceed a 10-year threshold. This explains why they are more expensive than other types of mattresses. Airbed mattresses can be a good investment into your sleep for almost a decade. Note, however, if you buy an airbed mattress made of cheap materials, it’s lifespan will sharply decrease as air loss and air cells dysfunctions will occur more often.
Futon mattresses cost factors
In America, the idea of the futon is a bit different from the traditional Japanese understanding. It’s a sofa that can be doubled into a bed. Futon mattress is the one that can be put on such a sofa.
Futon mattress price ranges from less than 200 USD to 350-450 USD. Why? Due to the following factors:
- Organic/artificial materials: Futon mattress is usually made of materials like cotton, wool, or latex. Organic materials usually increase the mattress price.
- The number of layers: the more layers the mattress has, the more expensive it will be.
- Durability: due to the simplicity of materials and the absence of any complicated assemblage, futon mattresses may serve for several years if used occasionally for guests. However, if they are used daily and especially by heavy people, their durability will decrease as their materials aren’t firm enough.
But usually futon mattresses are used for guests. Hence, as nobody sleeps on them regularly, they can serve for as long as 10 years. The average futon mattress lifespan though is 5-8 years if used more often. To compare, the other two most popular mattresses – foam and innerspring – serve for 8-11 and 8-10 years respectively.
Additional hidden factors that influence mattress price
Average mattress price is influenced by many other factors which may not seem obvious from the first sight:
- Online vs in-person. While in a specialized store you can test mattresses by yourself, mattresses there are usually more expensive. If you try to haggle, you may get even as much as 50% off as retailers have high markups. If you aren’t good at bargaining, you will find buying online is cheaper.
- Warranty & return terms. Details of warranty and return policies envisioned by manufacturers can increase the initial price of mattresses. The longer the warranty is, the more the mattress may cost.
- Shipping & setup. Shipping may cost an additional 60 USD – 100 USD, and the setup of a mattress in your bedroom may be included or added on top.
- Foundations & accessories. Foundation, bedding any other accessories will cost you extra money. Note that for larger mattresses like Queen, King, and California King it is more challenging to find accessories, therefore, they will be more expensive.
- Removal costs. You may want to have your mattress removed at a point. Mattress removal price varied between 75 USD and 200 USD with an average of 165 USD.
- Negotiation. Can you negotiate the price of a mattress? Yes, you can unless it is sold online. Offline retailers often have higher overhead costs, so sometimes you may negotiate even 50% off.
So why are mattresses so expensive? You must have got the answer by now. Let’s move to the next section and see how pricing varies across the most popular mattress brands in the U.S.
Top-5 mattress brands pricing
How much does a mattress cost if it’s made by one of the most popular in America brands? Once again, there’s no single answer to that as different brands specialize in different mattress type production (some specialize in innerspring, others in foam), as well as in budget categories.
Here we present to you top-5 famous in the States mattress brands and their average mattress prices.
Saatva specializes in luxury mattresses, so you shouldn’t expect low prices from them. Their mattresses have individually wrapped coils, provide sleepers with a good edge support, and offer great spinal alignment.
The price for their most common Saatva Luxury Firm Queen is 1,299 USD, and Saatva Classic costs 1,727 USD.
2. Loom & Leaf
Loom & Leaf is Saatva’s branch which specializes in memory foam mattresses. You can create your own mattress by choosing its size, comfort level, adding foundation, and so on. This allows you to control the pricing.
Puffy is famous for its memory foam multi-layer mattresses. The company claims its mattresses adjust to all sleeping types, and they provide the customers with free shipping and lifetime guarantee.
Simple Puffy Mattress Queen costs between 496 - 795 USD, while Puffy Lux Mattress Queen costs around 1,145 USD - 1,445 USD (the pricing depends on the discount season).
Nectar is known for its foam mattresses. The company has a standard and «lush». They vary in quality and number of foam layers.
Dreamcloud is just great at producing hybrid innerspring and foam mattresses. Standard Dreamcloud Queen costs around 899 USD - 1,099 USD, while Dreamcloud Premier Queen is 1,199 USD - 1,399.
On most mattress brands websites, you can compare prices by yourself. For that, simply find a respective section on the website.
Research shows that sleep deprivation is associated with productivity losses at work. Only if people slightly changed their sleeping habits, for example, by sleeping for seven and not six hours, the U.S. economy would get an additional 226.4 billion USD.
Changing sleeping habits requires extra time and money. There are many ways in which you can invest into your quality sleep. One of them is buying a good mattress. Indeed, a new quality mattress can help you decrease stress, and thus you may even have longer and healthier sleep. But what will it cost you? How much should you spend on a mattress to have quality sleep? From 300 USD to 2,500 USD depending on your needs and capacity.
Average mattress price depends on many factors – from the quality and quantity of material to hidden factors like shipping and warranty policies. When choosing a mattress, you should think well about what you need (firmness or softness), consider different brands and material types. We are sure that after reading this article it will be easier for you to find the most suitable mattress in your budget category.