What Is A Split King Mattress? Pros & Cons Of Split King Beds
If you’ve watched the How I Met Your Mom series, you probably remember the episode when Marshall and Lily decided to sleep on separate beds because this was just more comfortable for both of them. Still, it ruined that romance completely, so they’ve made a decision to sleep on one bed and just accept each other’s preferences.
With a split king mattress, there is no need to find compromises. If you and your spouse have different preferences, you can get a king size mattress that’s split down the middle, creating separate spaces for you and your partner but still letting you sleep together, cuddle, have sex. Many manufacturers produce such beds to help couples enjoy excellent motion isolation and the top level of comfort for both partners.
About split king size: Its specialties, pros, and cons
A split king mattress is measuring 76 inches by 80 inches long, so every sleeper has a 38-inch separate space. That’s pretty much like having two separate twin XL mattresses. Sounds great, right? However, consumers should also consider that split mattresses are not ideal—they have their pros and cons, like any other beds.
Split king bed pros and cons
Pros of split king size:
- Though there are mattresses that isolate motion pretty well, a split king mattress is just the best if your partner (or you) sleeps and toss a lot at night.
- Some manufacturers provide an opportunity to choose the firmness level for each side. In other words, for example, if you are a side sleeper and need a softer bed, and if your partner is a stomach sleeper who needs a firmer mattress, you can order a mattress with a firmer and a softer side.
- If you have an adjustable base, a split king mattress is the best as one side of the bed can be horizontal while another can be tilted up. Just a perfect option for partners who go to sleep at different times.
- Opportunity to customize bedding, too. What if you need a cooling topper and your partner hates them? It’s no problem with a split king mattress—you can buy two separate sets of Twin XL sheets and enjoy a great night’s sleep.
Cons of split king size:
- Extra costs—yes, such mattresses are often a bit pricier.
- Not all manufacturers produce Split CA king mattresses that work better for taller couples.
- Adjustable beds may be sliding apart during the night (we provide the solution to this problem below).
Consider this information to decide if a split king mattress is exactly what you’ve been looking for!
What is difference between a king, California king, and a California split mattress?
We mentioned that some manufacturers don’t produce split CA king mattresses. Let’s take a look at the measurements of king, CA king and CA split mattresses to understand the differences between them clearly:
- King mattress—76 inches wide and 80 inches long
- Split king mattress—76 inches wide and 80 inches long
- CA king mattress—72 inches wide x 84 inches long
- Split CA king mattress—72 inches wide x 84 inches long
As you can see, a CA king mattress is longer than a king mattress, but there’s no difference between the king mattress and split king mattress measurements (as well as between the CA king mattress and CA split king mattress measurements). The thing is, split mattresses are just split down the middle.
How to keep split king mattresses together: Adjustable bed problem
As we have previously noted, adjustable beds have their cons. In particular, it’s not always easy to keep the two parts of the mattress together. If your mattress is sliding apart you can solve this problem by using one of the following methods:
- Choose a split king mattress with an iron plate connector.
- Choose a single non-slip pad.
- Use non-split tape.
More detailed recommendations can be found in this guide on how to keep a mattress from sliding. As you can see, this problem can be solved pretty easily. The good news is that non-slip pads and the non-split tape won’t cost you a lot of money.
Conclusion: Is split king mattress worth it?
Well, for some people, it is worth it, and for some, it’s not. It depends on your goals, priorities, and preferences. If you are dreaming of perfect motion isolation, great customization, and a lot of space for you and your partner, a split king mattress might be a perfect option.
How to put sheets on a split king bed?
It’s pretty easy. Take each part of the mattress and slip your sheets in—one sheet over one part of your bed.
Is a split king the same as two twins?
Yes, it’s the same as two twins XL.
What is a split California king mattress?
This is a longer version of a split king mattress that is also split down in the middle. The measurements are 72 inches wide x 84 inches long. This mattress model works better for taller sleepers.
How to make a split mattress king bed?
Slip your sheets in each part of the mattress, one by one. You can watch this video to see how it works.